In the construction world, trenching requires a great deal of skill, experience, material, and equipment. However, these trenches can be highly dangerous for workers on the site if they fall in. This is where trench cover grating comes in.
This blog post covers what trench cover gratings are and how they can be used to improve safety on construction sites and other spaces. So, please stick with us!
What are the applications of trench cover gratings on the construction site?
Grating trench covers are used to protect the sub-surface of your construction site, like trenches, driveways, walkways, and draining areas. They look good, help dry the ground, and prevent water from pooling. Besides, they act as a safety net for workers working near trenches on construction sites.
There are various other reasons you should be using trench cover gratings. Keep on reading to know!
What is trench cover grating, and why it is used in construction industry?
Trench covers are used on construction sites to protect the workers from falling debris, damaging equipment, and other hazards that could otherwise cause injury or death. It has bearing bars running in one direction and cross bars perpendicular to them to form a grid. This grid has an outer frame for better durability and load-bearing capacity.
There are different types of trench covers, featuring different materials, designs and functions. Some of these grating trench covers consist of a moving frame attached to the fixed frame to serve a particular purpose (discussed ahead), while others are in the form of a single fixed frame.
Trench covers are a great way to protect your construction site from the elements and reduce liability exposure. Besides, they also have the following benefits:
- They help protect your workers from hazards, like falling objects and sharp objects that hurt them.
- They also help keep debris from making its way into the trench, which can be dangerous to your workers.
- Trench covers are a great way to protect your construction site from erosion and mud. They also increase the time it takes for water to drain out of the trench, which means less time spent patching up holes in your project.
- They allow quick access to areas needing cleanings, like gutters and drains.
- They help keep the site clean, especially when it’s muddy and wet.
How does trench cover grating work, and how is it installed
The trench cover grating works by using a series of bearing bars and cross bars to create a protective barrier. The bearing bars are placed in one direction on a frame, while the cross bars are perpendicularly stacked on top of the bearing bars and spaced out to create a flat surface that can be walked on.
Some trench covers have openable lids to inspect the trench, while others are fixed. These trench covers have holes to allow water and air to pass.
These grating trench covers are made from carbon steel or stainless steel. These materials make them rust-proof, corrosion-proof, durable, and strong. Besides, they tend to withstand heavy loads and harsh weather. These grating also have high resistance to chemicals and heat.
To install trench cover grating, the following steps are considered:
- A trench is appropriately cleaned, and its length, width and depth are correctly measured. It is ensured that the trench is flat and well-balanced.
- Expected traffic and load are also estimated to choose the suitable material and type of trench cover grating that is durable, strong, and tough enough to bear an anticipated burden.
- Walls are made on trench boundaries with the help of concrete to form a seat for trench cover.
- Once the concrete wall is dried and strong, trench covers are seated on it.
- To secure the trench covers, different methods are used. Some trench walls are made with steel hooks to weld with the trench covers. Whiles, some trench covers are secured with chains and locks.
- Once the trench cover’s installation is complete, you will need to test the trench cover grating to ensure it is secure and correctly installed. For example, if you have installed it on the driveway, try passing a few cars on it to test before opening it to the public.
The application of trench cover grating in a variety of industries
Apart from construction sites, trench cover grating is used in a variety of other sectors, including:
- Highways: They are used on edges of highway roads with heavy traffic to drain rainwater.
- Airports: They are used in various areas of airports for draining, like walkways and roads.
- Ports: Places with high exposure to salty water like ports, also use these gratings to cover their drainage system.
- Pools: These fancy and appealing steel grating trench covers can be used on the sides of the pool to drain water.
- Houses, Offices, and Manufacturing Facilities: These trench covers are also very beneficial to use in homes and offices and manufacturing facilities as a drain cover. Besides, they are also used in car parking and public transport stations for the same purpose.
- They can also be used as gully covers and well covers.
The different types of trench cover grating available on the market today
There are various types of steel grating trench covers, some of commonly used ones are:
- Side Trench Cover: These trench covers are used on roads with high traffic as a rainwater drain cover. They are installed on the edge of the lane and have bearing bars at a right angle to the driving direction.
- Cross Section Trench Cover: These trench covers are usually installed on drives ways as a rainwater drain cover. They have bearing bars in the same direction as driving to increase load bearing capacity and prevent tire bursts. These trench covers are also appropriately secured with bolts and nuts to prevent them from popping out when pressure is applied.
- Solid Edge Trench Covers: These trench covers are also used for driveways. They have solid angle bars on the sides of the trench cover to prevent sewage from leaking into the ground. Besides, these solid bars also increase durability and load-bearing capacity.
- Box Grate Trench Cover: These trench covers have two frames, where a moveable frame is attached with hinges to a fixed frame from one side. This enables the trench cover to open like a box. This type of trench cover is beneficial in places where regular inspection and cleaning of the trench are required.
How to choose the right type of trench cover grating for your project
To select the right steel grating trench cover, you need to consider the weight it will support, the kind of soil covered, and your desired durability.
- Load Bearing Capacity: If you want a lightweight cover, it won’t hold up under heavy loads. So, you must ensure that the trench cover has been tested for load-bearing capacity. You should also estimate the traffic passing through the trench cover and look at how much weight this cover can hold before tearing or breaking.
- Maintenance-Time: If you’re looking for trench covers with relatively low-maintenance, go for a welded steel grating. If you want a trench cover that will last, go for a press-locked steel grating.
- What kind of surface is underneath your work area? If it’s concrete, then a press-locked system will be your best option. If it’s asphalt or asphalt/concrete mix, then welded systems will be better suited than press-locked ones.
- How large are the trenches? The trenches’ depth, length, and width will determine which type of trench cover grating best suits them.
- Besides, you also consider your budget, environment, traffic on the trench area, trench cover material, frequency of maintenance, etc.
FAQs about trench cover grating
How many years does the trench cover grating last?
Trench cover grating bought from reliable manufacturers like ChinaGratings.com can last up to 30 years if properly maintained.
How to protect trench cover gratings from theft?
Trench cover gratings bought from ChinaGratings.com comes connected with chains to prevent them from stealing.
Are Steel trench cover gratings better than iron trench covers?
Steel trench cover grating is more durable, appealing, and corrosion resistant than iron trench covers. Besides, they have 83.3% of the area for water draining, which is almost double that of cast iron trench covers.
Do you provide Trench cover grating in a custom size?
Yes, you can send us the trench size and other details. We will manufacture the trench cover according to your requirement.
How to maintain trench cover gratings?
A high-quality steel trench covers gratings bought from a reliable supplier like ChinaGratings.com require very low maintenance.
- You must inspect them regularly.
- Clean them with a brush to remove debris and a damp cloth for routine cleaning. You can also use pressurized water to clean tough stains.
- For box grate trench covers, you must lubricate the hinges regularly.
Trench cover gratings are the most commonly used trench cover for construction sites. They are also used for residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural purposes. They are an affordable, long-lasting, and easy-to-install option for trench safety. Besides, they are highly durable, and resistant to corrosion, rust, and sudden impacts.
Trench covers are available in different types that you can choose depends on the trench area, application and use of the cover. And if you cannot choose the right trench cover for your application needs, you need to contact us at ChinaGratings.com. We have suitable gratings for your home, office, or construction project.