Stair tread steel grating is among the most common types of steel grating. It is used in various residential, commercial, and industrial applications.
These gratings are available in a variety of sizes and thicknesses to meet the needs of any application.
What is Stair Tread Steel Grating?
Stair tread steel grating is a type of grating that is commonly used on staircases and walkways.
It is made from steel and has a series of raised surfaces that provide traction and prevent slips and falls.
This type of grating is also very durable, aesthetically appealing and can withstand heavy-traffic.
The following article will discuss the various applications of stair tread steel grating.
We will explore the benefits of this product and how it can be used in a variety of settings.
We will also shed light on the different types of stair tread steel grating and how to select the right product for your needs.
What is stair tread steel grating, and what are its benefits?
Stair tread steel grating, also known as grating steps, is a type of grating installed on stairs. It provides traction and safety for people walking on the stairs.
It is made of different metals, usually low carbon steel, stainless steel, and Aluminum, and is available in various sizes, thicknesses, and designs. Some of which are as under:
- Welded stair tread steel grating: These stair grates have bearing bars and cross bars welded perpendicularly to form a grid. They are highly durable, easy to install, and have good wear bearing capacity, making them ideal for industrial and commercial applications.
- Riveted steel stair tread: Unlike most gratings, the riveted steel grating treads have a honeycomb-like structure that increases their walking comfort and load carrying capacity.
- Swage-locked and Press-locked stair treads: They are more durable, strong, and safe than welded stair grates.
- Straight Stair Tread Steel Grating: They are available in types of surfaces, shapes, nosing, and installation methods.
- Surface: They have two surface types: smooth stair treads and serrated stair treads.
- Installation methods: They can either be welded to the bearing bar or bolted. The welded one is durable, while bolted one is reusable.
- Nosing: These straight stair tread grating are available with checkered nosing, round hole plate nosing, vertical stripped plate nosing, abrasive nosing, and without nosing.
- The shape of Stairs: Clients can choose between spiral stairs and straight stair tread steel gratings.
Stair tread steel grating is a versatile and cost-effective flooring solution that offers many benefits depending on the applications:
- Slip-Resistance: These grating stairs are quite helpful in areas with a risk of falling. You can install them in homes or high-traffic places like offices, shopping centers, the metro, and industries for public safety.
- Durable and low-maintenance: These stair treads are durable, long-lasting, and low-maintenance and do not require sealing or waxing. Besides, it does not require regular cleaning or refinishing.
- High Weight Bearing Capacity: They also have a high-weight bearing capacity to easily handle high traffic, making them perfect for public infrastructures like stairs for pedestrian bridges, metros, stations, stadiums, parks, and airports.
- Variety: These stair tread steel gratings are available in a variety of designs, thicknesses, styles, and colors, so they can be used to create a unique and appealing look for your home or business.
- Easy to install: These stair treads are easy to install, without much hard work, time, labor, and material consumption.
- Corrosion-Resistant: These stair tread steel gratings have excellent resistance to corrosion, rust, chemicals, and heat, so they can easily handle the harsh environment and last for decades.
How to choose the right stair tread steel grating for your needs
Remember a few points when choosing the suitable stair tread steel grating for your needs:
- Weight Bearing Capacity: Consider the weight of the person or persons who will be using the stairs. If the stairs are to be used by heavy people, then you need to choose a grating that can support their weight.
- Height and Width of Grating: You will need to measure the width of the area where the grating will be installed and choose a size that will fit snugly. The second is the height of the grating. The height will need to be tall enough to allow clearance over the stair tread’s edge.
- Stability: Stability is vital, so people don’t fall down the steps. Look for treads with a flat surface so that if someone falls, there won’t be any sharp angles that could cause injuries.
- Durability: You want your stair treads to last as long as possible! Consider whether or not you plan on replacing them every few years and buy something with thicker metal instead of thinner ones.
- Anti-Corrosive: Ensure your metal has been treated with an anti-corrosive coating before installation to prevent rusting over time; otherwise, it may start to come off after only a few years!
- Style: Choose the style of steel grating you prefer. We at ChinaGratings.com carry multiple styles to find the best suits your needs.
- Cost: Don’t forget about the stair grating’s cost! The more expensive the stair tread gratings, generally speaking, the more durable they will be and/or more aesthetically pleasing. However, that’s only if you buy from a reliable manufacturer.
The application of stair tread steel grating in a variety of industries
Stair tread steel grating is used for a variety of different purposes, including:
- Outdoor Stairways: They can be used to protect the steps of an outdoor stairway, or they can be used in areas where there are high levels of traffic and wear and tear on the surface, like parks, pedestrian bridges, stadiums, metros, stations, etc.
- Industrial Settings: Stair treads are also used in industrial settings, where they serve as an effective safety measure for workers or equipment moving around.
- They are also used in schools, roofs, hospitals, buildings, and factories as standard steel grating, fire escape, height adjustable, or spiral stairs.
How to install stair tread steel grating
Step 1: You need to select the correct type of stair tread steel grating. You can choose between welded, riveted, press-locked, and straight stair grating.
Step 2: Measure the space where you’ll be placing it. You’ll want to make sure that your grating is long enough to cover the entire height of the stairs and short enough to fit within your space.
Step 3: Choose the suitable grating material, thickness, spacing, and design depending on its weight-bearing capacity and application.
Step 4: Make sure your stair tread grating is level with the surface it will be placed on. If you have a staircase, ensure that the top of the grating is even with the top of the stairs.
Step 5: Choose and install suitable anchors to hold the stair gratings. Anchor types include welded-on, clip-on, and bolt-down anchors. Welded-on anchors are used for permanent attachment, while clip-on and bolt-down anchors make the grating easy to install and reusable.
Step 6: Position the grating to its desired location and secure it with the suitable anchors. You can connect it by welding, clipping, or bolting.
Step 7: For a perfect fit, you can trip the edges of the stair tread grating using a hand tool or power saw.
Step 8: You can install edge bandings to protect the stair grating from damage and give it a finished look.
Step 9: After successful installation, inspect the stair tread grating thoroughly to ensure it is secure and adequately installed.
Maintenance and care tips for keeping your stair tread steel grating looking great for years to come
To maintain stair tread steel grating, you should:
- Clean it regularly with a scrub brush to remove dirt and debris. You can also use a pressure washer to clean off any dirt or debris that has gotten into the grooves between the steps, and then use a paintbrush to clean out any dirt that remains behind after you’ve washed it off with water and soap.
- Wax it at least once a year. You can do this by applying a silicon carbide solution to the grating and then wiping it down with a cloth.
- Inspect the grating for cracks or damage. Also, inspect the anchors to ensure they are intact and in good condition. In case of irregularity or damage, get it fixed immediately.
FAQs about stair tread steel grating gratings
Q: What materials are used to make stair tread gratings?
A: Most reliable stair tread gratings are made from steel. However, Aluminum and fiberglass are also used.
Q: For how long have you been manufacturing stair tread steel gratings?
A: ChinaGratings has over twenty-four years of experience producing various steel gratings for numerous applications.
Q: Do you provide customized stair tread steel gratings?
A: Yes, ChinaGratings provides design customization services to their clients for stair tread steel gratings.
Steel stair treads are a great way to increase the safety of your stairs. The steel grating will protect you from falls while providing a more pleasant walking surface.
They are an excellent safety product for home-owners who want to add value to their homes by upgrading their stairs. Besides, these grating can also be used for commercial and industrial purposes.
If you are looking for high-quality stair tread steel gratings, we suggest you try ChinaGratings.com.
We have 24+ years of experience, with a highly-qualified team, advanced machinery, and a wide range of products for you to choose from!